At Mind Up, we provide psychological and educational assessments for children and adults.
We all have a unique pattern of strengths and weaknesses that impact our learning. Psychological assessment can provide insights and opportunities to help individuals reach their full potential. For many children, development and learning may not follow the expected or usual pattern. The child may show advanced abilities in one area and struggle in other areas. Parents and teachers may seek guidance on understanding the child and knowing how to support them in overcoming certain challenges. A diagnosis can also facilitate specialised treatment, NDIS funding, and/or special consideration at school/university.
For adults, we also assist in diagnosing learning and/or developmental differences that may not have been picked up when they were younger. This can help an individual better manage their differences and improve life outcomes.
Psychologists at Mind Up can assist in the assessment of overall cognitive functioning (IQ), developmental, learning disorders for adults and children including:
- Intellectual Disability
- Developmental Delay
- Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD)
- Giftedness and Exceptionality
- Specific Learning Disorders (Dyslexia and Dyscalculia)
- Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
According to the referral concern, the assessment may examine the following areas:
- Cognitive strengths and difficulties (IQ): these are understood as a combination of verbal and visual abilities, working memory, reasoning skills, and processing speed that makes up an individual’s overall cognitive ability
- Academic skills and learning: Writing, reading and listening comprehension, mathematics and problem solving
- Executive functioning: Everyday skills important for learning and managing many life tasks e.g., example memory, self-regulation, attention, organisation)
- Adaptive and functional skills: Necessary for daily functioning, self-care, communication, coping skills, and socialisation
- Emotional and behavioural assessments: Useful for understanding challenging and oppositional behaviours, emotional regulation, and mood disorders
The assessments employ empirically validated tools and procedures to ensure a high level of diagnostic accuracy. Assessments are conducted by psychologists experienced in the assessment and diagnosis of a wide range of learning and developmental disabilities, with additional training specifically in the area ASD, ADHD, and SLD diagnosis. We gather information from multiple sources including parents, teachers, and other professionals to ensure a comprehensive understanding of the individual.
We understand that the process of receiving an assessment or diagnosis can be confronting and overwhelming. We clearly explain the results of the assessment and provide individualised recommendations to support the individual in overcoming identified challenges. There is also the ability to receive ongoing support through counselling and intervention.